Grant recipients - Promotion and conservation of Tasmania's cultural heritage initiative (2005)
Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Restoration and Improvement Works for Holy Trinity Anglican Church Launceston
The church is listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register, considered to be the greatest work of architect Alexander North, and is a significant tourist attraction. Professional practitioners will be employed to carry out
West Coast Heritage Authority Ltd
Gaiety Theatre Restoration
The Gaiety Theatre will be restored to its former glory through:
Trustees of the Anglican Diocese of Tasmania - Parish of Sorell, Richmond and Tasman
St. Martin's Anglican Church, Dunalley Restoration
The project will address movement in the stonework and will be undertaken by a recognised practitioner in the restoration of heritage buildings.
Friends of Adventure Bay Inc
Awakening Community and Visitor Interest in the Historical and Cultural Heritage of Adventure Bay, Bruny Island
The project consists of three inter-linked projects – publication of a brochure on areas of historical significance (50,000 print run); publication of a book on the aboriginal heritage, explorers and colonial art, early settlement of the Bay and areas of current interest (5000 copies); and rehabilitation of monuments
Clarence Plains Historical Society Inc.
Restoration of Grave of the Robert Knopwood's ward Elizabeth Morrisby (Betsy Mack)
The project will restore and conserve the grave of one closely associated with the first Chaplain of Van Diemen’s Land. Reverend Knopwood raised Betsy Mack as an orphan. The grave is in the Heritage-listed St Matthew’s Church in Rokeby, adjacent to Rev Knopwood’s tomb. Work will be undertaken by a professional practitioner.
Furneaux Historical Research Association
Development of Furneaux Museum -- Additional Building
The project will be to construct an additional building for the Museum as a multi-purpose space that can be used for exhibitions, school groups, training volunteers etc. The building will improve disabled access. A Building Appeal has already raised $37,000 from a small population for the work. The local council is contributing around $15,000 to the project.
Glamorgan Spring Bay Historical Society
Digitise Photo Collection
The project will digitise and therefore preserve the Society’s collection of over 11,000 documents, photographs and heritage items. Some items date to the 1820s.
Re-opening the Mills Reef -- Sheepwash Bay Trail, Bruny Island
The project is to construct a gravel trail between Alonnah pontoon boat ramp carpark and Sawyer’s Camp creek over the historic ‘dray-trail’ foundations. Council will erect interpretive material at key points on the trail . The trail was used to cart timber from Bruny Island for use in Hobart Town and to transport goods for use on Bruny Island. This trail will link with other historic trails around Bruny Island.
Tranmere-Clarence Plains Land & Coastcare Inc
The Old Rokeby Historic Trail Revisited
Production of a book on historic Rokeby.
Tasmanian Wool Centre
Ross Community and the Story of Female Convictism
The Tasmanian Wool Centre attracts approx 90,000 visitors per year. The Centre provides tours of Ross and surrounds. The project will tell the story of the Female Convict Station at Ross through an interpretative trail between the township and the Station and draw tourists from the main touring route. The TCF funding will be used for project management, and interpretation planning and implementation.
Tasman Peninsula Historical Society
Restoration of Old Courthouse
Repair and refurbishment of the Old Courthouse at Premaydena. The Old Courthouse was part of a convict outstation. The land is on the Tasmanian Heritage Register. It is intended, over time, for the Courthouse to become a history room. The building is in urgent need of restoration.
Circular Head Heritage Centre
Capturing Circular Head's Heritage
Production of a unique book on the historical and heritage story of Circular Head, targeted at the tourist market. The book will feature highlights from over 100 oral recordings from local community members. 2000 copies will be produced plus 100 leather-bound ‘collectors’ editions.
National Trust of Australia (Tas)
Old Umbrella Shop Repairs and Signage
The Old Umbrella Shop is the oldest traditional shop in Tasmania still operating in its original form. Built in 1860, the shop is a three-story brick structure with an additional cellar. It displays 100 years of umbrellas.
National Trust of Australia (Tas)
Restoration of Penghana & General Office, Queenstown
Restoration to the rooves of Penghana and the General Office. Both of these previously belonged to the Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Co.
Woolmers Foundation Inc.
Significant Tree Rescue Plan
Salvage and maintenance of some of the most historically significant trees and shrubbery located at Woolmers. Woolmers was settled in 1816 and now functions as a major tourism complex with accommodation, gifts, tours and special events. Over 100,000 people have visited the site in the last nine years. The project involves a three-year plan to enable the rescue, restoration and maintenance of current and established trees, and to develop an overall rejuvenation and conservation plan. The trees and shrubs are an integral part of the property.
RSL Tasmania Branch Inc.
Baily Flag Website Project
The project will create a database of signatories, cross-matched with their war service record, of those who signed the Baily Flag. Harry Baily, from Huonville, was stationed at an ambulance station in Gallipoli in 1915. He was injured around the same time as the Red Cross flag was brought down by shell-fire. The ambulance station was later evacuated, with a fellow soldier Bill Mawby wrapping Baily in the flag. Baily kept the flag and had it signed by ANZACS, nurse and other service personnel, colleting over 500 signatures. The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery purchased the flag, with assistance from the Dept of Veteran Affairs.
Clarence City Council
Rosny Historic Centre Barn Development
The Rosny Historic Centre is the site of the original Rosny farm. The site is listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register being particularly noted as possibly the oldest remaining stone barn in Australia. The farmhouse and barn are part of the early settlement of the Hobart area dating from possibly 1807.
The project is to develop the barn into a high quality useable, flexible space for visual and performing arts events, community workshops and changing displays. The barn will include interpretive signage, displays etc concerning the site’s history.
Female Factory Historic Site Ltd
The Visions Project
The Female Factory site is located in South Hobart and was the principal convict site for women in Australia. The site will be gifted to Tasmanians from the FFHS Ltd in 2009.
Their project consists of two major initiatives:
Levendale and Woodsdale History Rooms Inc
Restoration of Woodsdale School
Restoration of the Woodsdale School (built in 1884) to its original state, with the Principal’s residence transformed into a museum and the school house into a community centre. Electrical work, replacement of weatherboards and gutters and painting will be carried out.
Friends of Soldiers Walk Inc
The Avenues Project
This project will produce an ‘Avenues Kit’ for the restoration of Avenues of Honour at 10 different communities around the State as well as continue work, including the installation of additional plaques, on Hobart’s Soldiers Memorial Walk.
Palawa Aboriginal Corporation
milaythina mana mapali
The grant will be used to construct an Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Centre in Goodwood, that will act as a focal point for the cultural and heritage programs and activities delivered by Palawa. The building will also serve to upgrade the existing Women’s Karadi Aboriginal Corporation facilities.
St. Patrick’s Church, Colebrook
This project is to carry out the comprehensive restoration of St. Patrick’s Church, Colebrook, and its environs to its original (mid-nineteenth century) condition, including the reinstatement of missing elements. It was designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, arguably England’s greatest early Victorian architect, designer and theorist, in 1843 and constructed in 1855-56.
Meander Valley Council
Meander Valley Performing Arts Centre
This project will renovate and restore the former Deloraine Town Hall (circa 1880) and establish it as the Meander Valley Performing Arts Centre.
Narryna Heritage Museum Inc
Narryna Museum Audio Initiative
This project will produce a 30-minute dramatised audio presentation for visitors. Once produced, the audio system is made available to visitors at a small cost to use with headphones to review the details of Narryna’s collection.
Launceston Walking Club
Preservation of Film Archive and “Do You Know Tasmania” Digital Transition
Funds will be used to:
About Campbell Town Inc.
Rejuvenation of the Campbell Town/Elizabeth River Connection
The funding will assist with the implementation of the landscape master plan that will help to conserve and promote the cultural heritage of Campbell Town and the Elizabeth River, and, in particular, the historic Red Bridge.
Break O'Day Council
Housing and preservation of the History Room collection of historical artefacts and photographs. The History Room has over 6,000 photos, memorabilia and heritage items from the community. A large number of these items are held in storage as space is limited.
Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
Our Stories -- A New Tasmanian History Gallery
The project will provide an avenue for telling stories about Tasmania and Tasmanians through a Tasmanian history gallery. The Museum will be able to display their history collection so that visitors can discover the stories that have shaped our island. The funding will purchase exhibition cases.
Football Tasmania Inc
Tasmanian Football: Hall of Fame at Aurora Stadium at York Park
The Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame will recognise and enshrine players, coaches, umpires, administrators, teams etc who have made a most significant contribution to Australia Football in Tasmania since 1869. The Hall of Fame will be located at Aurora Stadium.
Low Head Pilot Stations Reference Group
1866 School Residence and School Room Restoration
The project is to restore the historically and culturally significant 1866 school residence and schoolroom. The site is a publicly owned facility and is managed by the Reference Group on behalf of the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service. It is one of the oldest groups of pilot stations in Australia.
Final funding is subject to approval of the conservation plan by the Tasmanian Heritage Council.
Note: this grant has been withdrawn by the Board due to insufficient progress.